maria used facebook to ask, “I have tons of beets and don’t know what to do with them. Got any good recipes?”
i adore beets… but
sometimes, you just get a little tired of the same old olive oil roasted beets and sweet potatoes.
– my absolute favorite is, of course, lacto-fermented pickled beets. you can boil the beets until they’re done but still firm, like salad beets. pickle whole or in chunks. make one batch spicy, with horseradish, and salt. just leave them in saltwater inside a closed jar…. that’s it! that one will keep for months and months or even years. make sure to burp it every day while it’s still fermenting! then you can stick ’em in the fridge when they’re sour enough for your tastes. it’ll become a favorite condiment. for snacking, i like adding whole cinnamon bark chunks, hunks of fresh ginger, and allspice berries cracked in two to the saltwater.
– mashed yams and beets with a pinch of brown sugar or honey, some combination of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and mace, and a little orange juice (to taste)
you can mash the yams and the beets separately and then have fun playing with them on your plate! timbre might enjoy that 😀
– roasted beets with toasted nuts (walnuts? pistachios? probably anything would be good,) balsamic vinaigrette, and greens
– beet and soft cheese spread – beet and goat cheese is a tried and true, but beet and blue cheese is its own beast.
– roasted beet, grapefruit, and avocado salad
– a little mashed roasted beets in anything for color and a little sweetness, from hummus or baba ghanouj to desserts (admittedly, i have never tried the famous chocolate beet recipes, but i don’t see why a cup of beets in a brownie recipe wouldn’t be good.)
– beet salad with dilled yogurt (so simple, but seriously great!)
– beet salad with shredded (or matchstick-cut) raw beets and carrots, and any combination of carrots, nuts, and a little citrus juice.
for a savory version, toss in lemon juice, mustard, raw minced garlic, herbs (parsley, or whatever you have around) and sour apple. if you like it sweeter, toss in orange juice, balsamic, and add some raw sweet apple.
HEARD SOME TALK ABOUT:
– beet and potato pancakes? i love this idea.
– beetroot thayir pachadi – coconut, yogurt, and beets? i think i’m in love. i want to try this this week, scooped up with some freshly baked bread!
anyone else? beet recipes? maria, what are your favorite ways to do up a beet?