if you are on a soft foods diet on order of dentist or doctor, make sure to add this one. it’s full of medicinal spices like turmeric and garlic. i think it’s one of the best pureed soups i’ve tried – but maybe that’s because i haven’t eaten solid food in a week. get well soon!
roast a big (or 2 little) butternut squash (or acorn, or whatever you like)
saute onions and carrots in a dutch oven over medium heat
when soft, add a clove or two of garlic, and stir 2 mins
– chicken stock, vegetable stock, or even lightly salted water
– a tablespoon or 2 of “curry powder” (or make your own with a lot of coriander, some turmeric and cayenne, and a little fenugreek, mustard powder, cumin, black pepper [to help your body absorb the turmeric,] and curry leaf – or whatever you have around)
– the flesh of the roasted squash
– between a half-cup and a cup of red split lentils (masoor dal)
– a good amount of ginger paste or ginger juice
bring to a boil and simmer about 20 minutes
throw everything into a blender or food processor, or mash well.
return to pot and add coconut milk. use a whole can, unless you don’t like the taste of coconut – then just add a half-can.
reheat, adjust spices if necessary
turn off heat, and add fresh lemon juice to taste, about 1/2 to one whole lemon.