THAi COCoNUT TaPIOCa PUDDING
(PlEASE eXcusE tHE BROKEN CaPS lOCK KEY…)
* 1 2×1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
* 1 1×1-inch piece fresh galangal,* peeled, sliced
* 10 Thai basil leaves*
* 6 fresh cilantro sprigs
* 2 kaffir lime leaves* or 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
* 1 tablespoon sliced lemongrass*
* 2 cups water
* 2 cups whole milk
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca* (not quick-cooking)
* 1 13.5- to 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk*
* 1 large mango, peeled, cut into cubes
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* Pinch cayenne
* Thai basil
Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor; blend 20 seconds. Transfer to medium saucepan; add 2 cups water and bring to boil. Remove pan from heat and let steep uncovered 20 minutes. Pour mixture into strainer set over heavy large saucepan; press on solids to release flavored liquid. Discard solids in strainer.
Add milk and sugar to flavored liquid in pan; bring to boil. Stir in tapioca; return to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until pudding thickens and is reduced to 2 1/4 cups, stirring frequently, about 35 minutes. Stir in coconut milk (pudding will be runny). Transfer to bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Toss mango cubes, lime juice, and cayenne in medium bowl. Divide tapioca among 6 stemmed glasses or bowls. Top with mango mixture; garnish with basil sprigs.
we didn’t have half of the ingredients and it turned out anyway like the most amazing pudding i’ve ever made (even better than home-baked-bread-pudding!)