* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 eggs
* 6 cups coarsely chopped unpeeled cooking apples (about 5 to 6 medium apples)
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
* Butter Rum Sauce (recipe follows)
1. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well combined and scraping sides of bowl. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined. Stir in apple mixture and nuts. (Mixture will be thick.)
3. Evenly spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with Butter Rum Sauce.
Butter Rum Sauce:: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon rum flavoring. Cool slightly. Serve warm. Makes about 1-1/2 cups. Note: Sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week. Heat through in a saucepan over medium heat.
hoping that making little baby cakes will make me feel better, BABYCAKES.